For 20 years, the Volkswagen Golf R has been an icon across the world and right here in NZ, with a fanatical and passionate fan base. And now it's back in its fifth generation. There are pockets of Aotearoa that simply cannot get enough of the quintessential ‘growl’ of the R engine, as it explores its way up and down the country. From past and current Golf R model owners, to the upcoming new breed of customers awaiting their first taste of this small car, there is one thing in common: it’s an R thing.
It’s a ‘rush to the heart’ thing
It’s not hard to see why the original Golf R32 helped coin the phrase ‘hot hatch’. And with 400Nm of torque and 235kW of power, you could say the performance factor of the new Golf R is certain to continue and build upon this great legacy.
It’s a ‘this is loaded with tech’ thing
It’s hard to believe that our Volkswagen engineers were able to get this much technology into a small vehicle. Enliven every journey with innovative features designed to inspire and impress.
Ready for precision at every turn?
Handle every road like a racetrack with a new first from Volkswagen; 4MOTION with R-Performance Torque Vectoring. This all-wheel-drive technology distributes drive not just between the front and rear axles, but also variably between the two rear wheels. Delivering up to 100% of the possible torque to the wheel on the outside of the bend, it enables an exhilarating drive with maximum grip and stability.
The Golf R’s sleek design and powerful presence convey a vehicle that is the epitome of sporting performance. With its lowered stance, large front intake and body-coloured side sills, the Golf R is the quintessential head-turner. The 1st Edition Package ups the ante further with its large roof spoiler and aggressive-looking rear diffuser with four chrome-plated tailpipes.
A rush to the heart
Whether it’s on Wellington’s High Street or an Otago backroad, prepare for a blood-pumping drive with the powerful 2.0L turbocharged TSI petrol engine. Boasting 235kW of power and 400Nm of torque, expect an adrenalin rush, even when you’re stuck in Auckland traffic.
MRP FROM $52,990* +ORC*
MRP FROM $69,490* +ORC*
MRP FROM $83,990* +ORC*
MRP FROM $89,990* +ORC*
Terms & Conditions
1. The information provided on the Volkswagen New Zealand website is for information purposes only
2. Volkswagen New Zealand reserves the right to extend, withdraw or change all offers *Prices are shown in New Zealand dollars, include GST and exclude on road costs
3. Weekly finance price is subject to change due to interest rates*. Please see the full terms and conditions for Volkswagen Finance for more information. www.volkswagen.co.nz/finance
4. Fuel consumption is based on the combined fuel consumption figure
5. International models might be shown for illustrative purposes only, and New Zealand specifications may vary
6. Some colours in these images are not available in New Zealand, the product guide contains the correct colours available to the New Zealand market
7. Additional and optional accessories may have an effect on fuel efficiency. Optional accessories and add-on packages are available at an additional cost
8. App-Connect is compatible for selected apps with the latest smartphone versions of iOS and Android, active data service, and connection cable (sold separately)
9. Safety technologies are designed to assist the driver, but should not be used as a substitute for safe driving practices
10. **Leather appointed seats have a combination of genuine and artificial leather, but are not wholly leather
11. Vehicle availability will vary across the Volkswagen range, please stay in the know with delivery timelines. Learn more
*Prices and specifications are subject to change and without notice, always contact your authorised Volkswagen Dealer for confirmation. All vehicle pricing is inclusive of GST and excludes On Road Costs (ORC) unless otherwise stated. The Maximum Retail Prices (RRP) and Minimum Selling Price (RSP) are recommended prices only. Please note that actual on-road fuel consumption and emissions will vary depending on traffic conditions, vehicle load and the individuals’ driving styles. Vehicle accessory prices are inclusive of GST and include an estimated labour fitting costs. The actual dealer fitted prices may vary from the prices stated.